Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Sweet and Bitter Providence

John Piper is another one of my favorite authors. This man literally makes satan tremble. Here is the promo for his new book, A Sweet and Bitter Providence: Sex, Race, and the Sovereignty of God.


A verse I continually cling to is Romans 8:28: "And we know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."
Did you catch that? in ALL things.
A couple days ago I listened to one of Piper's sermons via podcast titled subjected in hope. Piper poses a few key question: how does the apostle Paul help me suffer well by putting it in a global and universal context? If I'm going to suffer what is the meaning of my suffering in this moment? Stepping back to the much bigger question of why is there suffering in this world?
Some awesome stuff and weighty questions so I highly recommend listening. My favorite thing Piper says is in reference to Romans 8:18 "for I consider the suffering of this present time not worthy to be compared to the glory that will be revealed to us."
God promises us that after this time of futility we will see an all-satisfying beauty- an all beautiful, overwhelming, and powerful greatness. Why do human beings all over the world want to see and experience greatness? We want to go see big majestic mountains or breathtaking grand canyons. Why do we do that? There is something in us that wants bigness and greatness...that wants to see it and get drawn into it...and the meaning of that is God!
This is God's form written, this longing and aching for greatness was made for Him! We want to be surrounded by something great without being destroyed or crushed by it. Well that's the image of God in us that IS COMING in a way that will absolutely blow us away...
...I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment