Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Living in the moment



I get a daily meditation email from Henri Nouwen. Here is today's:

Living the Moment to the Fullest
Patience is a hard discipline. It is not just waiting until something happens over which we have no control: the arrival of the bus, the end of the rain, the return of a friend, the resolution of a conflict. Patience is not a waiting passivity until someone else does something. Patience asks us to live the moment to the fullest, to be completely present to the moment, to taste the here and now, to be where we are. When we are impatient we try to get away from where we are. We behave as if the real thing will happen tomorrow, later and somewhere else. Let's be patient and trust that the treasure we look for is hidden in the ground on which we stand.

Love that. I can't keep banking on the future. I can't forget that my plans are not the ones that prevail. My life isn't even my own (Jeremiah 10:23).
I'm not guaranteed tomorrow. I forget that my heart will not beat except by the power of God on my life. If I'm not careful I become so consumed in planning for tomorrow, and all the tomorrows after it that I lose sight of what the Lord has planned for me right now. Right in this moment. It's about Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment