Monday, January 4, 2010

Growing Pains

I recently read this on Lauren Chandler's blog. Lauren is the wife of Matt Chandler, the pastor of the Village Church(posted a video by Matt a couple weeks ago) who was recently diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain cancer.

When I was younger I experienced growing pains in my legs. I remember tossing in bed trying to fall asleep, wrestling with the pain. It hurt.
Things really haven't changed all that much. Growing still hurts. And I still wrestle with it.

"Be patient," says the Lord, "I am growing your roots strong and deep." So strange to feel seemingly conflicting emotions at one time: comfort of knowing the Lord knows and is in control but also a "soul sigh"....a things-are-going-to-sting-for-a-bit-sigh.

He won't let me settle for shallow roots. He knows as soon as a stiff wind blows through the plain that I would be uprooted, lifted from the soil and taken away. He loves me more than that. I don't rejoice in the painful discipline, however, I rejoice in the fruit that painful discipline brings. Obedience leading to joy.
"My child, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and chastises every son whom He receives." Hebrews 12:5-6

Father, You desire truth in the inmost parts. And, I must truthfully say that this discipline hurts. This growth isn't as joyful in the process. However, I trust You. I believe You are good and that You do good. I believe that You love me and therefore discipline me. You draw my roots further and further down, breaking hardened earth and pushing back dirt lacking proper nutrients. You beckon me deeper to rich, fertile soil that I may be an oak of righteousness, a planting for the display of Your splendor. Lord, sustain me in the growing, in the stretching, in the groaning. You are good and You do good.

No comments:

Post a Comment