Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rethinking the Beatitudes

I read this on a blog written by a wonderful woman named Margot, who works with Reality Ministries in Durham. She talks about what Jesus might tell us today- a way to distinguish our cultural values from His kingdom ones.

Blessed are those who aren’t fantastically attractive, because they have a treasure that’s found elsewhere.


Blessed are those who are overlooked at a singles bar, for they are actually the chosen ones.


Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for something other than becoming physically attractive, for they’ll be filled with what really satisfied.


Blessed are those who use their bodies to bless others, for they will be called God’s own.


Blessed are those whose eyes search for the best in others, for they will see God.


Blessed are those who suffer because they’ve made some of these choices, for they’ve got a better reward coming.


Love this. As a woman, I struggle so much with obsessing about the way I look. I spend so much time fixing up the outside- trying to perfect a body that will age, change, and eventually die. I will have nothing to show but wasted hours of time and mental energy. My prayer recently has been that the Lord would take away this obsessive desire for outward beauty, and would help me control my mind- which often can be my greatest enemy. I believe lies- that if I could only look look a certain way I would finally be content. WRONG. It never works that way. I challenge you to find one woman in this world who is completely content with the way she looks. Perfection doesn't exist because we are people who will never be content this side of heaven.


Jesus offers hope. He will empower us to find victory in this area that for so many women distracts and defeats us.

No comments:

Post a Comment