Tuesday, April 6, 2010

should we really follow our heart?

So often we hear the phrase "follow your heart." It's a popular song lyric, a popular storyline in romantic movies, and a popular way people make decisions.
Proverbs 4:23 says "Above ALL else guard your heart- for it is the wellspring of life!"
In our heart lies the very center of everything we are, of who we are. The heart carries so much power over me, so much that I'm not even aware of its power at times until it's too late.
When I sit back and examine my heart it can look outrageous at times. I tend to base my decisions off what I'm feeling in the moment and it doesn't always look pretty...in fact most of the time it looks pretty bad.
Contrary to what I think, I am the WORST architect for my heart because I desire the very things that lead to my own destruction. I tend to want things I shouldn't want because my heart never knows what is best for me. I cannot trust my heart.
The Lord even warns us of our deceitful hearts in Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?"

In the spring we see beautiful flowers blooming all around us, a constant reminder of new life! This analogy reminds me of my need for a new heart, a heart that desires Him. The kind of heart David pleads for in Psalm 51. I am tired of hearing the line "follow your heart" because the heart can't be trusted. My heart will naturally chase after my own selfish ambitions and desire for instant gratification because it is irreversibly corrupted by sin. "Create me in a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me...Restore to me the joy of Your Salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me." (Psalm 51:10 & 12)

"Almighty God, You have made us for yourself, and our hearts are restless till they find their rest in You." St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment